College of Education

English as a Second Language Education/Teaching Major (Grades K-12) (BA Traditional)

Students who complete this major and other state requirements are eligible to apply for a Minnesota teaching license for English as a Second Language (K through 12).

Prerequisite – Demonstration of proficiency in a language other than English through:

  1. two years of a world language at the secondary level;
  2. one year of a world language at a post-secondary level; or
  3. equivalent literacy in the candidate’s primary language

General Education Requirements

All degree seeking undergraduate students must complete the general education requirements.

Degree Requirements

Bachelor of Arts degree consists of a major of typically 32 to 44 credits or two minors, general education courses, and elective courses totaling a minimum of 120 credits.

General Education and Pre-requisite Courses
Introduction to Psychology (4)
Required Content Courses
ENG 220Applied Grammar2
ENG 338History and Principles of the English Language2
Required Education Courses
ED 201Foundations of and Introduction to Education3
ED 290Language and Society4
ED 330Human Diversity and Relations2
ED 336Educational Psychology3
ED 342Teaching Literacy4
ED 344The Effective Teacher3
ED 348Second Language Acquisition4
ED 371Teaching Practicum3
ED 382Foundations for Instructional Strategies for English Learners3
ED 389Instructional Strategies for English Learners4
ED 439The Inclusive Classroom2
ED 485Assessment of ESL Students2
ED 487Reading Across the Content Areas3
ED 470Health Education for Teachers2
ED 472Student Teaching15
Total Credits61

Each state has different requirements for professional licensure and certifications. CSP’s educator preparation programs are designed specifically to prepare students for licensure in Minnesota, but are not approved by any other state licensing boards for licensure in those states. CSP is unable to determine whether its teacher preparation programs would meet the educational requirements for licensure in other states.  Students who want to work in a state other than Minnesota should contact the state licensing board in their state before enrolling in the program.  Please see the contact information for teacher licensing boards here