College of Education

Parent and Family Education (Licensure) (BA Traditional)

Students majoring in Parent and Family Education are eligible to apply for a Minnesota teaching license to work with parents in settings such as Early Childhood Family Education centers, which are unique to Minnesota. Students have an opportunity to blend theory and practice through a series of content courses, methods courses, field experiences, and clinical practice.

General Education Requirements

All degree seeking undergraduate students must complete the general education requirements.

Degree Requirements

Bachelor of Arts degree consists of a major of typically 32 to 44 credits or two minors, general education courses, and elective courses totaling a minimum of 120 credits.

Prerequisites from General Education
Introduction to Psychology (4)
Required Content Courses
COM 205Small Group Communication4
COM 403Family Communication4
FAS 400Family Systems, Structures and Relationships4
FAS 446Methodology in Fam Life Ed3
Required Education Courses
ED 201Foundations of and Introduction to Education (+ 15 hours HR Activity)3
ECE 321Preschool Education2
ED 330Human Diversity and Relations2
ED 336Educational Psychology3
ECE 324Language Development and Emergent Literacy 3
ECE 325Education of Infants and Toddlers 3
ECE 425Young Children with Special Needs2
ECE 427Authentic Assessment and Guidance in ECE3
ED 418Adult Education and Development4
ED 470Health Education for Teachers2
ED 464Student Teaching Parent & Family Education and Capstone Seminar4
Total Credits46

Each state has different requirements for professional licensure and certifications. CSP’s educator preparation programs are designed specifically to prepare students for licensure in Minnesota, but are not approved by any other state licensing boards for licensure in those states. CSP is unable to determine whether its teacher preparation programs would meet the educational requirements for licensure in other states.  Students who want to work in a state other than Minnesota should contact the state licensing board in their state before enrolling in the program.  Please see the contact information for teacher licensing boards here